[Histonet] toe nails

Chris Pomajzl cpomajzl <@t> cpllabs.com
Wed Jun 14 09:41:48 CDT 2006

Good question. We have dealt with this issue for many years, and we have
come up with a solution that has worked for some time.

First of all, sections are picked up on "+" coated slides that have been
smeared with egg albumin. We separate eggs from the grocery store and keep a
stock of the egg white albumin in a bottle. Maybe 100ml at a time, keep it
refrigerated. When cutting nails, put 2-3 drops of albumin on the slide and
smear to cover all of the glass.

We cut 3 sections of the nail specimen. 1 for H&E, 1 for PAS, and 1 extra
for back-up. We bake the slides at 55'C overnight, and then at 70'C for 20
minutes prior to staining the following day.

This seems to work very well for us.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Conlon, Paula F." <Paula.F.Conlon <@t> Lahey.org>
To: "Histonet (E-mail)" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 9:16 AM
Subject: [Histonet] toe nails

Hi Histonetters, does anyone have a good procedure for sectioning nails and
keeping them on the slides during h&e staining and pas staining?Most of the
time our sections wash off. Thanks for your help.

See our web page at http://www.lahey.org for a full directory of Lahey
sites, staff, services and career opportunities.

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED FOR THE USE OF THE PERSON TO WHOM IT IS ADDRESSED.
IT MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL AND EXEMPT FROM
DISCLOSURE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW. If you are not the intended recipient, your
use of this message for any purpose is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please delete the message and notify
the sender so that we may correct our records.