[Histonet] substrates

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Jun 14 09:23:19 CDT 2006

Margaret:
  Confronted with that situation I would eliminate the melanine better. Oxidize it with 0.1% potassium permanganate for 2 hours; wash and remove the oxidized melanine with 0.3% oxalic acid followed by washing. The section should be free of melanine pigment/colour afterwards and you can use DAB (for brown) and DAB + Ni salts for dark blue as double substrates.
  Hope this will help you!
  René J.

"Perry, Margaret" <Margaret.Perry <@t> sdstate.edu> wrote:
  We are trying to do double staining and are looking for two different
colors of substrate and we can't use DAB due to melanin. Does anyone
know of a green stain that is xylene compatible? Vector has Nova Red
and a blue color but we use hematoxylin as a counterstain. It would
mean an extra step for us to counterstain in Methyl Green

We use a DAKO autostainer.

Margaret Perry HT(ASCP)

South Dakota State University

Animal Research and Diagnostic Lab