[Histonet] why

Bill Sinai bills <@t> icpmr.wsahs.nsw.gov.au
Tue Jun 13 16:14:51 CDT 2006

One way to eliminate this problem is to put a drop of something like tween
in your formalin or whatever solution you store the cassttes in prior to
processing or the first solution on the processor. This reduces the problem
of surface tension of fluids across the small holes.

Bill Sinai
Chief Hospital Scientist
Tissue Pathology ICPMR
Westmead Hospital
Westmead NSW 2145
Phone 02 9845 7774
Fax 02 9687 2330

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Anthony F.
Boris
Sent: Wednesday, 14 June 2006 2:46 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] why

One thing that we found to help with the screened cassettes is to set the
cassette on a paper towel during grossing and adding formalin to the
cassette.  Let it flow thru to the towel before closing.  This seems to help
the fluids enter when we put them into the bucket.   And double check that
they do not float up.   You may have to give them a tap to displace that
bubble.   Since we have started this a year ago, we have only had a couple
of problems.

Tony