Curious about this reply Re: [Histonet] RE: Disposal of Ventana DAB waste

Horn, Hazel V HornHV <@t> archildrens.org
Mon Jun 12 13:36:27 CDT 2006

I agree with Gayle.  I don't think it's wise to put in the drain.   Our
water department will not let ANY amount of DAB go down the drain no
matter how small the quantity.

Hazel Horn
Hazel Horn, HT/HTL (ASCP)
Supervisor of Histology
Arkansas Children's Hospital
800 Marshall    Slot 820
Little Rock, AR   72202

phone   501.364.4240
fax        501.364.3912

visit us on the web at:    www.archildrens.org

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Gayle
Callis
Sent: Monday, June 12, 2006 12:57 PM
To: Emma JONES; Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Curious about this reply Re: [Histonet] RE: Disposal of Ventana
DAB waste

Emma,

Is this what Ventana advises?  Labs should check with their local waste
water treatment plant before TREATING anything or putting "diluted" DAB
down the drain. If laboratories are generating this kind of waste on a
weekly basis, this adds up over time. In general, waste water plants do
not
like this and EPA does monitor water around here.  Montana has discharge

rules (maybe for larger industries) but our city does not want
medicines,
household cleaners, solvents, fertilizers, pesticides, oil, etc, flushed

down the drains and warn residents frequently about this in their water
bills.

Wouldn't it be better to collect and have it hauled away for proper
chemical disposal than add even "minute" amounts of a potential
carcinogen
to our water supply.  We use very little  DAB in our lab, but all
chromogens AEC, DAB, permanent red, etc, (very low volume usage) are
collected for chemical waste pickup and proper disposal.

An interesting sidelight, tested water wells in parts of Montana now
have
traces of sunscreen chemical, medicines, herbicides,   nitrates and
nitrites.  So much for the "pristine"  environment and pure water out in

the Wild Wild West /Rocky Mountain region.   Drink beer and brush you
teeth
with it too,  it may be safer when you visit some Montana dude ranch!

Gayle Callis HTL, HT, MT(ASCP)
Research Histopathology Supervisor
Veterinary Molecular Biology
Montana State University
Bozeman MT 59717

At 11:19 AM 6/12/2006, you wrote:
>Hi Joe,
>A specific answer to your question, regarding Ventana not DAKO waste.
The
>volume of  DAB in the waste is very small and diluted considerably by
the
>other solvent free solutions.
>It can be thrown down the sink, washed down with plenty of water.
>
>However there is a technique for deactivation of DAB which is
applicable
>to any form of DAB waste.
>Prepare a 2 mol/litre H2SO4 solution, and a 0.2 mol/litre KMnO4
solution
>         - Add 50 ml of each solution to the Ventana DAB waste to be
destroyed
>         - Let the 3 solutions react overnight
>         - Discard the solution into a regular sink, and wash down with

> plenty of water.
>
>Hope this is of use,
>Best regards
>Emma
>

>--

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you.