FW: [Histonet] fixing sponge larvae for in situs

Ashley Haines ahaines <@t> vims.edu
Fri Jun 9 13:53:54 CDT 2006

Here are some thoughts that I am passing on from a friend with experience in
this area:

-----Original Message-----
From: David Gauthier [mailto:gauthier <@t> vims.edu]
Sent: Friday, June 09, 2006 2:51 PM
To: 'Ashley Haines'
Subject: RE: [Histonet] fixing sponge larvae for in situs

It sounds like a classical osmolality problem.  The fact that they
blow up in seawater is a little weird, but I'd suggest checking the
osmolality of the fixative vs. whatever the larvae come out of.  It may be
that the 4%PFA is enough to change the osmolality sufficiently and the
larvae are just that fragile.  For something that small, I would think that
1-2% PFA would be sufficient.  You might also ask if their PFA is fresh.  It
can do strange things when it gets old.  Bouins and osmium are both really
bad ideas.

Dave