[Histonet] mounting very thick specimen

Elizabeth Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Wed Jun 7 18:01:19 CDT 2006

We routinely embed whole rat corneas.  We use the smallest coverslip
possible and place a good bit of mounting media on the slide and then
place the cornea on the slide into the mounting media, from there we put
a bit more mounting media on top of the specimen and then coverslip.  We
use a carrage bolt (3/8 x 4) with 3 hex nuts 3/8-16 that we place on top
of the coverslip to get the specimen to remain flat when drying, it
looks funny and you need to be careful when you place the bolt on, but
it does work.  We needed to do this because the cornea is not completely
flat and even though it was notched a bit of weight on the coverglass
helped the specimen remain flat.  You might not need the bolts, if your
specimen is nice and flat, you just need the right amount of mounting
media.  The amount that you need is going to be dependent upon the
mounting media that you use, since no mounting media is the same and the
amount of resin in the media is going to be different, you just have to
work out the number of drops of media that you will need so you don't
get any air bubbles once the media drys.

Liz

Manager
Premier Laboratory, LLC
P.O. Box 18592