[Histonet] Texas Red fluorescing when slide viewed through FITCfilter

Mansfield, James JMansfield <@t> cri-inc.com
Thu Jul 27 09:03:49 CDT 2006

Hi Hannah,

Depending on the brightness of the fluorophores you are using, it is
quite possible for the FITC to show up in the Texas Red channel. There
is a significant (about 10% of max) FITC emission at 600 nm (the peak of
Texas Red emission).

You can plot out the spectra of various fluorophores at:

http://probes.invitrogen.com/resources/spectraviewer/

Unfortunately, there are only ways to prevent the FITC from bleeding
through:

1. Reduce the amount of FITC on your slide so that the 10% bleed through
is not visually apparent.
2. Use a multispectral imaging approach and linear unmixing to separate
the contributions of the two fluorophores from each other.

Regards,

-Jim

--
James R. Mansfield