[Histonet] Re: Releasing specimens to patients

RSRICHMOND <@t> aol.com RSRICHMOND <@t> aol.com
Tue Jul 25 12:49:35 CDT 2006

Amy Garcia asks about releasing fetal remains to patients.

I'd have to agree that this is a job for a funeral director. It's certainly
something your pathologist should know about and should make the decisions on.
There are some real problems with who gets hold of recognizable fetal tissue,
which should always be stored and disposed of with great care.

A pathologist of my acquaintance - not in a state I've practiced in recently
- had an incident where anti-abortion people stole fetuses from his department
and harassed the patient whose name appeared on the container (imagine doing
that to a woman who's probably mourning the loss of a baby!) I asked the
pathologist if he was really sure if that had happened, and he said it definitely
had.

Bob Richmond