[Histonet] paraformaldehyde

Hawkins, Hal K. hhawkins <@t> utmb.edu
Mon Jul 24 14:43:56 CDT 2006

We need to prepare 4% phosphate-buffered paraformaldehyde for a
cooperative study in fairly large volumes, about 2 L at a time.

My only experience in preparing this fixative involved heating to over
60 C, adding sodium hydroxide chips until all was dissolved, then adding
the buffer and adjusting the pH.

There seems to be a simpler method in which pre-mixed Dulbecco PBS is
warmed and the paraformaldehyde is dissolved in the buffer.  Has anyone
used this method and does it work without further adjustment of the
final pH?

Thanks in advance,

Hal Hawkins

UTMB, Galveston, Texas