[Histonet] Giemsa stain - Helicobacter

RSRICHMOND <@t> aol.com RSRICHMOND <@t> aol.com
Fri Jul 21 12:44:29 CDT 2006

Elisa Kelly at Kingston General Hospital, Kingston, Ontario asks about
Diff-Quik staining of Helicobacter pylori.

Diff-Quik is a trade name. There are two staining solutions. For Helicobacter
you need only the blue one (Diff-Quik II). There are a number of generic
equivalents for Diff-Quik. In my personal experience they stain Helicobacter
pylori quite as well as Diff-Quik II. Don't stain additionally with the red stain
(Diff-Quik I) - bacteria are easier to find without it. - The only trick to
doing the stain is to get the slide through the alcohols rapidly.

Bob Richmond
Knoxville TN and Gastonia NC