[Histonet] Immunofluorescence question

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Fri Jul 21 09:28:29 CDT 2006

We use Dulbeccos PBS and TBS interchangeably and with a small amount of
Tween only just for sheeting action over sections.

We make up our own TBS, a 10X solution, and dilute it when needed to make a
0.05M TBS, at final pH of  pH 7.6.  Have you checked the pH of your buffer
to make sure there is not some change there? Check the MSDS, product sheet
or call Lab Vision tech services to discuss their buffer.  I would bet
their TBS is a standard recipe for making it up, and works well.   For IFA
work, we use 0.025% Tween 20 and for IHC 0.05% Tween 20.

We never lose fluorescence (IFA) nor staining with enzyme
immunohistochemistry with either buffer, and you may want to sleuth for
another reason why the fluorescence was not optimal.  Background generally
is not caused by buffer problems, but another reason, cross reaction, too
high antibody concentration, fixation issues.