[Histonet] Problems with eyes

Cheryl Crowder ccrowder <@t> vetmed.lsu.edu
Mon Jul 17 17:13:39 CDT 2006

Hello - I am working with whole eye retinas.  The retinas are collected,
defatted, rehydrated to distilled water, stained, dehydrated through graded
alcohols and cleared in xylene.  Here's the problem:  When the tissues hit
the xylene they disintegrate!  Not wash off - I mean disintegrate.  Have any
of you heard of this problem before and, if so, what did you do about it?
I would appreciate any comments, thoughts or help with this problem.  Maybe
one of you who works exclusively with eyes has seen this before.  Thank you
for your help,
Cheryl

Cheryl Crowder, BA, HTL(ASCP)
Chief Technologist