[Histonet] Leica microtome

Edmondson David (RBV) NHS Christie Tr David.Edmondson <@t> christie-tr.nwest.nhs.uk
Wed Jul 19 11:25:42 CDT 2006

I remember on the Leica 1512 looseness in the up/down travel by virtue,
in part, of unever wear of the surfaces.   Microtomists trimming in the
centre of the travel rather than performing a complete cycle of the
handle.
Such adjustment as was possible would find the travel tight at bottom
and top of the stroke and loose in the cutting section of the travel.
Fresh oil, and then even more viscous oil was the best we could do to
reduce the wobble described and still have free rotation.
Money was found in the end,the microtome then became a source of spare
parts, then was tipped.
David
Manchester UK

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Solomon
Adebayo
Sent: 19 July 2006 12:23
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Leica microtome

we recently overcame similar problem in our laboratory at the Pathology
dept. Unilorin teaching hostpital ilorin Nigeria. It really gave us a
lot of sleepless night. However the joy of getting over the problem
through patient application of the knowledge of how the microtome works
and other factors that makes for excellent manipulation of the microtome
for good results was worth the effort.
I will advice you to do the following:
(1)Lubricate the machine with the lubricating fluid that came with it.
(2)Make sure all the screws and knob on the block holder are tight and
well orientated.
(3)Re-set the angle of tilt.
Cheers
Benard Solomon
Pathology Dept.,
Unilorin Teaching Hospital,
Kwara State, Nigeria.
www.histosearch/homepages/benardsolomon
--- Charles  Scouten <cwscouten <@t> myneurolab.com> wrote:

> Usually, when we hear about such things, the answer is the blade angle

> is too shallow, or the pedestal has wobble for some reason.  Grasp the

> tissue pedastal with your hand and try to wobble it.
>  If you can, that
> is the problem. Has the blade angle changed, on purpose or by
> accident?
> Also try to wiggle the blade to see if it is loose, but try to do that

> without losing a hand.
>

> Cordially,
> Charles W.  Scouten, Ph.D.
> myNeuroLab.com
> 5918 Evergreen Blvd.
> St. Louis, MO 63134
> Ph: 314 522 0300 x 342
> FAX  314 522 0377
> cwscouten <@t> myneurolab.com
> http://www.myneurolab.com

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and solely for the use of the intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error you should not disseminate, distribute or copy it. Please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail from your system.