[Histonet] BAF47/INI1

Lott, Robert Robert.Lott <@t> bhsala.com
Tue Jul 18 17:41:49 CDT 2006

It is my understanding that one of the primary applications for BAF47 is
in separating different pediatric CNS neoplasms especially rhabdoid
tumors.

BAF47 identifies the "deletion" or mutation of the hSNF5/INI1 gene. (or
the corresponding reduction in protein expression at the protein level
in IHC terms).

Therefore, malignant rhabdoid tumors, which can be confused with PNET's
(medulobalstomas), Ewing's, Wilm's, sarcoma, rhabdo. etc., will stain
"negatively" (not stain at all) while these others would stain
positively or variably for the antibody.

This works very well in our lab..... we have the BAF47 antibody from BD
Transduction Labs diluted 1:200 (60 min.) with Envision+ detection (45
min.) DAB+ for 10 min.

HIER is with Tris/EDTA pH 9.0, 20 min. heat/20 min. cool.

The pathologists at the local Children's Hospital provided us with great
control material and are very pleased with the result!

See:     Am J Surg Pathol. 2004 May;28(5):644-50.

            Am J Surg Pathol. 2004 Nov;28(11):1485-91.

Robert

Robert L. Lott, HTL(ASCP)

Manager, Anatomic Pathology

LabFirst / Trinity Medical Center

800 Montclair Road

Birmingham, AL   35213

205-592-5388  phone

205-592-5646  fax

robert.lott <@t> bhsala.com

Confidentiality Notice:
confidential information and intended only for the use of the
individual or entity named in the address. If you are not the
distribution, or copying of this information is strictly
prohibited. If you received this information in error, please
notify the sender and delete this information from your computer
and retain no copies of any of this information.