[Histonet] necrosis detection

Jim Staruk jstaruk <@t> masshistology.com
Tue Jul 18 17:14:31 CDT 2006

I thinks it's a little more complicated than that!  A lot goes on in-vivo
once an area of tissue dies.  I have a nice collection of cardiac slides of
infarcts that are a few minutes old to a day old (from my days with the
Medical Examiner's Office) and every slide is a little different.  You can
see cytoplasm membranes rupturing in the very early slides, vessel walls
breaking down (causing hemorrhage) early on, neutrophil migration, there's
enzyme activity, etc, etc.  On the other hand, I just processed a piece of
"fresh" stake purchased at the grocery store (I'm guessing the meat is at
least a week dead although refrigerated) and aside from a few swollen
nuclei, it looked perfectly viable.  There's papers published on this,
probably more in the forensic manuscripts.

Jim

______________________
    Jim Staruk
Mass Histology Service
www.masshistology.com

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Rene J Buesa
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 4:25 PM
To: histology <@t> gradymem.org; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] necrosis detection

Angie:
  Run a little expriment by leaving unfixed tissue during at least 8 hours.
Fix as usual after half an hour intervals (16 in total) and process the
tissue.
  Section and stain with H&E and let your pathologist look for the signs of
necrosis in each slide from each time interval. If they are not evident,
increase to more time in same time length intervals.
  I think this would be a good way to find out.
  Hope this will help you!
  René J.

histology <@t> gradymem.org wrote:

My pathologist has a question:

After cell death occurs, what is the earlist time at which necrosis
can be detected by H&E stains?

Thanks,
Angie Barnett, HTL(ASCP)
Grady Memorial Hospital