[Histonet] sectioning thymus

Kemlo Rogerson kemlo.rogerson <@t> waht.swest.nhs.uk
Mon Jul 17 02:22:20 CDT 2006

"I have some thymus paraffin blocks that I am trying to section to do

> H&E on. I've never worked with this tissue before. What does it take

> to get decent sections? Most of the tissues I have cut worked fine by

> just soaking in ice with water. Sometimes I've even floated them on

> the water bath and that has helped."

I'm confused......... these are paraffin blocks aren't they? If so then why
take all that time getting the water out to soak them in the stuff again?
Thymus from memory is very "nucleary" or 'dense' and I had problems with
poorly fixed, poorly processed tissue. Solution (forgive the pun) properly
fix and then properly process; do not go near water again until the staining
part has been reached.

To cool use those plastic thingies you use to cool your tinnies.

Kemlo Rogerson

Pathology Manager

Ext  3311

DD   01934 647057

Mob 07749 754194

Pager 07659 597107

I try to avoid looking forward or backward, and try to keep looking upward.
--Charlotte Bronte

This e-mail is confidential and privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient please accept my apologies; please do not disclose, copy or
distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its
contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform
me that this message has gone astray before deleting it. Thank you for your
co-operation