[Histonet] IHC on Mouse EAE brain tissue (background)

Jamie E Erickson jamie.erickson <@t> abbott.com
Wed Jul 12 08:57:25 CDT 2006

Hi All,
            I'm hoping someone can help. I am staining mouse EAE brain
frozen  tissues with BD biosciences CD45/B220 as well as there GL7
(activated T+B cell marker) and have some background issues. The CD45
/B220 looks good with minimal background and nice cell associated
staining.   I had worked out these conditions on spleen for each antibody
separately prior to running these brain samples. Briefly:

1.  I air dried  frozen brain sections overnight then  fix with acetone
75%/alcohol 25% 5 minutes at RT then placed in buffer
 2. DAKO block H202 0.03% 10 minutes, (CD45), 5 minutes (GL7)  (WASH)
3. Streptavidin/biotin block (vector labs) 30 minutes each,(WASH)
4. serum block 10%donkey (CD45) 10% Horse (GL7) 15 minutes, (no wash)
5.  CD45 or GL7 (2.5ug/ml) 1 hour RT, (wash)
6. secondary for CD45 anti-Rat (fab)2(1:500) 30 minutes RT.(wash), for GL7
anti-Rat IgM (1:200) for 30 minutes.
7. ready to use strepavidin peroxidase (vector labs ) 30 minutes RT.(wash)
8. DAB + DAKO 2-4 minutes.(wash,water)
9. Counterstain etc..

The problem is the CD45 staining has minimal background and the GL7 has
much more on a serial section (could be peroxiade?). The background is a
diffuse light brown staining over most of the section, Could this be due
to the IgM pentameric antibody or something else I can block against?  The
positive control spleens had positive staining and no background...very
clean in both CD45 and GL7.  So I thought I was OK. Would adding 2.5%
mouse serum to the block  and primary help?

 It seems to me something about the brain samples that is causing this
background.  If anyone has experience background with brain IHC I'd
appreciate any input you may have.

Thanks

Jamie Erickson
Sr. Research Associate