[Histonet] RE:decontamination.

Charles Scouten cwscouten <@t> myneurolab.com
Mon Jul 10 09:07:33 CDT 2006

I don't have an answer, but will post this to the histonet.  You should
consider subscribing.  I assume you are not presently in the market for
a self decontamininating crystat that cycle itself every night and be
ready in the morning?

Cordially,
Charles W.  Scouten, Ph.D.
myNeuroLab.com
5918 Evergreen Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63134
Ph: 314 522 0300 x 342
FAX  314 522 0377
cwscouten <@t> myneurolab.com
http://www.myneurolab.com

-----Original Message-----
From: djmr55 <@t> hotmail.com [mailto:djmr55 <@t> hotmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, July 08, 2006 1:57 PM
To: Charles Scouten
Cc: Doug Martin; Drew N. Mehta; Charles Scouten
Subject: myNeuroLab Question

Subject:Cryostat Decontamination

Question:I work in a small hospital histology lab. Until recently we
used chlorhexidine digluconate in 70% ETOh to decontaminate our cryostat
at -14C.  CAP now says we need to disinfect with 70% and also
decontaminate with a tuberculocidal at an interval appropriate to our
facility.  How do you determine what is appropriate?  Number of routine
cases cut on a cryostat?  We have never had anything that is suspected
of T.B., or HIV being cut on our cryostat. Is decontaminating 1 every 3
months okay or once a year?  We need to shut this thing down over a
weekend and that is another probelem with OR scheduling and no backup
instrument .  HElP!!  Donna Rossi (ASCP) Histosupervisor Sharon Regional
Health System