[Histonet] Zinc Formalin

Fred Underwood funderwood <@t> mcohio.org
Thu Jan 26 09:52:48 CST 2006

It's been a few years since I've worked with zinc formalin.  But if my
memory serves me right (ha ha), you should wash the tissue thoroughly
befoe going back into 10%NBF.  Something about the compatibility of zinc
with the phosphate buffer.

Fred

>>> "Laurie Colbert" <laurie.colbert <@t> huntingtonhospital.com> 01/24/06
06:12PM >>>
Our formalin supplier mistakenly shipped us pre-filled containers
containing zinc formalin instead of 10% NBF.  Before I noticed this,
three cases had been distributed throughout the hospital (most likely to
Surgery).  So, how is this going to affect my tissue?  Is there any
post-treatment (such as removing mercury pigment on B-5 fixed tissue)
that I need to perform?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Laurie Colbert