[Histonet] Qu:Assesment of embryonic BBB defect

John A. Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Wed Jan 25 12:48:10 CST 2006

Immunostain for a plasma protein such as albumin.
It's important to fix the tissue quickly, or
plasma will move out of the blood vessels. See
Mori et al (1991) Lab. Invest. 64:345-351; Fabian
(1992) J. Histochem. Cytochem. 40: 987-991; Loberg
& Torvik (1992) Acta path. microbiol. scand. 100:
431-436. I've seen this artifact in human brain,
with immunostaining for albumin, ceruloplasmin,
orosomucoid and IgG (unpublished). The time of
first formation of the BBB is still controversial
(far too much literature to mention here) and may
depend on the techniques used.
--
John A. Kiernan