[Histonet] DNA PCR Question

BennettW <@t> pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca BennettW <@t> pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Fri Jan 20 15:34:11 CST 2006

Many thanks to the histonetters that answered my question about inverts in
mud but I have another question in a field that I know nothing about.  Why
is it when people see paraffin they come running to the histologist?  O.K.
that's not the question.  Here it is.  I have a researcher (a different one
from last time) that is trying to extract shellfish pathogen DNA from a
paraffin embedded sample.  He is getting background fluorescence in a RTPCR
using DNA extracted from this paraffin embedded tissue.  The tissue was
originally fixed in Davidsons fixative.  He is using a Takara Dexpat kit and
he wants to know how to solve this problem using a Taqman MGB (FAM) probe?

Any suggestions would be great and much appreciated.

Cheers
Bill Bennett
Histologist
Fisheries and Oceans Canada