[Histonet] Microwave drying/paraffin sections from Histonet archives - long but maybe pertinent?

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Fri Jan 6 18:07:37 CST 2006

If glass could heated up by microwaves, then why are we able to remove
pyrex beakers, coplin jars or in our homes, glass pyrex measuring cups
containing water heated to visual boiling with little skin protection i.e.
bare hands (although I don't advocate this in home or laboratory, a hot
mitt is always a good idea!).  However the longer it takes to heat the
water in my kitchen MW, the hotter the glass becomes over time with the
transmitted heat.  Some glass containers have gold borders or other
components(?) that are not microwaveable, with warnings -  but these are
not glass slides.

The question and discussions on MW drying are numerous, but three messages
stood out and should be considered if wanting to do this.  The biggest
concern should be what kind of artifact or tissue section damage is created
with MW drying?  Histotechnicians have experienced this, per archive
messaging.  Although MW drying saves time, does it lead to eventual
problems in staining, diagnosis, etc.?  We tend to dry our slides at lower
temperatures in an oven i.e. Buessa convection oven method.

I thought these excerpts from a Peggy Wenk message about microwaving
pertinent, and the way I always understood a MW to work.

Microwaves cause molecules that have a charge (like water or alcohol) to
align to the wave as it passes. After the wave passes, the charged molecule
goes back to whatever direction it wants to point, at least until the next
wave passes by, at which point the charged molecule realigns again. So, you
have a bunch of charged molecules aligning and becoming randomly arranged,
millions of times a second (frequency of a microwave). While these charged
molecules
are aligning and un-aligning, they are bumping into each other. This causes
friction, which
causes heat. Which is how aqueous or alcoholic solutions (or your supper)
heats up.
Now, some things do NOT have charges to them. Like the glass or pyrex or
plastic in the
coplin jar or casserole dish. So the molecule do NOT move. So there is NO
friction. Therefore no warming. (The only exception, if you want to
consider this, is drying slides in the microwave oven. But in this case,
the water between the slide and the tissue/paraffin section is being
heated. In this case, it is usually advised to have a beaker of water in
the back corner of the microwave, so that there is something to absorb the
microwaves, so that the oven is not harmed.)
Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
William Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI 48073

On slide drying, there may be some other effects you do not want, like
introducing artifact to the tissue sections -

Charles.Embrey[SMTP:Charles.Embrey <@t> carle.com]
  Sent:  Wednesday, October 10, 2001 3:43 PM
I have worked at places before that dried slides in the microwave.  In
my own lab I will not.  The microwave tends to overheat during this process
and I saw several burn up.  I was always afraid of fire.  Drying slides in
the microwave also creates interesting artifacts when the water boils under
the tissue.  I just don't like it.  I am sure however that others do and
will probably beat me up over my stand but it's just my personal preference
and experienced opinion. No daggers please  Charles R. Embrey Jr.,
PA(AAPA), HT(ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
Carle Clinic
Urbana, IL

And from a Microwaving expert:

Subject: Drying paraffin slides
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 12:01:43 -0600
Hi - Just a point of terminology - whether heating slides in an oven,
with forced air, or in the microwave, you are NOT drying the paraffin.
You are drying the layer of water between the paraffin and the slide.
Cheryl Crowder, BA, HTL(ASCP)
Chief Technologist
Department of Pathobiological Sciences
School of Veterinary Medicine