[Histonet] HTL certification

Dawson, Glen GDawson <@t> dynacaremilwaukee.com
Fri Jan 6 13:34:47 CST 2006

Hermina,

Two of my techs just took the HTL yesterday & passed.  According to them,
the written test was a nightmare.  Nothing came from the old stand-by
textbooks like Sheehan or Carson.  The BOR study guide provided zero help.
There was alot of IHC related questions that included trouble shooting and
appropriate controls for certain stains.  One or two ISH questions and 3 or
4 EM questions.  They highly recommend studying the anatomy of the eye.
Many poor quality pictures of unknown tissues were on it as well along with
some strange questions.  I believe that their tests were quite different
based on how good or bad they were performing.  Many managerial questions
including worker relations/performance scenarios, OSHA regulations, JHACO
rules & CAP regulation.   Most of the test dealt with topics that they were
not familiar with as they are students with little bench experience.

I'm thinking that the final scoring must be on a radical curve because both
were sure that they had failed by the end of it.  I know for a fact that
they couldn't have studied harder than they did for the test, but nothing
that they actually studied was on it.  Sorry for the gloom and doom, I'm
just passing on the sentiments of 2 individuals that just took the test.

Good Luck,

Glen Dawson  BS, HT & QIHC (ASCP)
IHC Manager
Milwaukee, WI