[Histonet] brain fixation and native EGFP fluorescence

John Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Tue Jan 3 23:44:16 CST 2006

A colleague who knows more than I about these
matters tells me that the native fluorescence of
GFP depends critically on the highly organized
barrel-shaped configuration of the molecule -
something that may be preserved or destroyed by
fixation, but won't survive dehydration in
alcohols etc. Remember that aldehyde-fixed and
even unfixed
 tissues can have green autofluorescence when
exited by blue light.

Heavy metal salts generally tend to suppress
fluorescence, even though some histochemical
fluorescence methods can be enhanced by zinc or
aluminium salts. It might be best to avoid zinc
formaldehyde mixtures for this reason, and also
because zinc ions coagulate proteins and can be
expected to change the shape of the green
fluorescent protein molecule, perhaps making it no
longer fluorescent.

John Kiernan
Anatomy, UWO
London, Canada