[Histonet] optimal thickness for cutting of IHC sections

Monfils, Paul PMonfils <@t> Lifespan.org
Tue Jan 3 12:09:20 CST 2006

I believe section thickness is less critical for IHC because antibodies are
very large molecules that don't penetrate tissue very well, so regardless of
the thickness of the section, you are really only staining the exposed
surface of the tissue, perhaps to a depth of 2 microns or so.  We have
verified this by electron microscopy.  This is quite different from standard
histochemical procedures where a thicker section results in a more intense
stain because the small dye molecules penetrate the tissue readily and stain
it all the way through.