[Histonet] RE: Revealing lymph nodes

Kellar, Eric C Eric.C.Kellar <@t> questdiagnostics.com
Mon Feb 27 14:52:38 CST 2006

Sandy,

Hartman's fixative (formerly Davidson's fixative)works about the best for me. It is commercially available from MarketLab and BBC Biochemical to name a few.  To prepare it yourself, mix the following -

	95% ETOH			1200 ml
	37% Formaldehyde		800 ml
	DH20				1200 ml
	Glacial Acetic Acid	400 ml

The tissue can remain in the fixative for up to 24 hours. Transfer to 10% NBF. The nodes begin to turn opaque-white and reveal themselves after about 30 minutes in this fixative.

Eric C. Kellar
Histology/Immunohistochemistry
Quest Diagnostics Inc. Miami

Hello,

Could you folks please let me know what methods and reagents you have
worked with that do a decent job of overnight clearing the fat from
colonectomy specimens to further reveal lymph nodes?

Many Thanks,
Sandy

The contents of this message, together with any attachments, are intended only for the use of the person(s) to which they are addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. Further, any medical information herein is confidential and protected by law. It is unlawful for unauthorized persons to use, review, copy, disclose, or disseminate confidential medical information. If you are not the intended recipient, immediately advise the sender and delete this message and any attachments. Any distribution, or copying of this message, or any attachment, is prohibited.