[Histonet] bx sponges VS no bx sponges

Debbiejsiena <@t> aol.com Debbiejsiena <@t> aol.com
Sat Feb 25 18:04:37 CST 2006

What we have found especially on skin specimens is that the use of sponges
produces lots of carryover of solutions.  We have found out that the drying
artifact that is produced when the first paraffin becomes too saturated with
xylene carryover and then the tissues are exposed to mostly xylene at 60C.  It is
probably a combination of the heat and the xylene.  The other times that this
can happen is if the solutions on the tissue processor are not consistently
full to the fill line on the bottle and this can cause drying out of the tissues
in the chamber and lastly if during gross, the tissues that are in cassettes
waiting processing are not covered completely with solution.  I hope that this
helps you out.

Debbie Siena, HT(ASCP)QIHC