[Histonet] disposal of xylol waste from CJD cases

Bartlett, Jeanine jqb7 <@t> cdc.gov
Thu Feb 23 06:26:16 CST 2006

Is this xylene that is from the stainer or the processor or both?  And
is it generated from tissues that have been first formic acid-treated?

Jeanine Bartlett, BS, HT(ASCP)
1600 Clifton Road, MS/G-32
18/SB-114
Atlanta, GA  30333
(404) 639-3590
jeanine.bartlett <@t> cdc.hhs.gov

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Sharon
Allen
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 3:20 PM
To: Histonet (E-mail)
Subject: [Histonet] disposal of xylol waste from CJD cases

I am having a problem disposing or our xylol waste from Prion testing
for CJD. Our waste disposal company has just informed us thay they will
take all other waste but won't touch the xylol (it has all been treated
with javex).
Apparently they have been storing it all these years & now are refusing
to accept anymore.
I would like to know how other labs testing for CJD are disposing of
their xylol.  Does anyone use a xylol substitute?
Any ideas would be very helpful. Right now I have it packaged & sitting
on the floor in the lab which goes against all the safety rules.
Sharon
sallen <@t> hsc.mb.ca

This e-mail and/or any documents in this transmission is intended for
the address(s) only and may contain legally privileged or confidential
information. Any unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution, copying or
dissemination is strictly prohibited. If you receive this transmission
in error, please notify the sender immediately and return the original.