[Histonet] Do you love your job?

Mildred Fail failm <@t> musc.edu
Tue Feb 21 16:26:26 CST 2006

Hi Peggy,
    I used to love my job, I would be excited about coming to work. Looking at a well cut  well stained slide was like looking at a fine  painting. It didn't matter whether I had worked on the slide or not. I liked the beauty of it.  Wonderful colors. Working out a problematic antibody gave me a sense of accomplishment and pride. I loved reading and learning more about the stains going back in time to learn how it was done before dyes were so readily available. Though I am fortunate that most of the pathologists focus on the forward progress much more emphasis is placed by others on the negative. One of my techs says it is a thankless job. Seldom does anyone walk in to say how good a stain looks and most of our stains are quite good, picture perfect. But good stains are expected so therefore not always appreciated. You have to have a real passion for histology to ignore all the negative, to keep on trying to perfect your craft, to keep on learning. it is the passion for histology that allows you to see a problematic stain as a challenge.  Once your focus is off the slides, the patient , the stains,  you loose your footing and the job is no longer exciting.

Rena Fail

>>> "Peggy Brask" <pbrask <@t> comcast.net> 02/21/06 08:28AM >>>
I am a second semester student at Argosy University in the HT program.  I
was wondering what the pros and cons are in the Histonet world.  I have been
in the service industry in one form or another for the last 30 years.  This
is a total diversion from my past life and I would like to know what you
love about your job and what you hate about your job. If anyone would like
to give me some input, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, Peggy