[Histonet] Microarray

ana.merino-trigo ana.merino-trigo <@t> wanadoo.fr
Sun Feb 19 15:47:12 CST 2006

Hi Lin,

When I began to work with TMA I did have the same problem than you. I got great advices from the designer of the technology, Juha Kononen and also from Stephen Hewitt responsible of the TARP laboratory at the NCI. Basically the best results that I got were following this method:

To build the block:

 -Use low melting point paraffin for the recipient block

 -Prior to Construction faced off the recipient block (in this way you will minimize the amount of realignment)

 To cut the block: Sectioning by "TEMPER" the blok

1.Once you finish the array place the block - FACE UP- in a oven at 35-37°C overnight

2.Next AM put it on a cold plate (face up) for an hour

3.Then reheat at 35-37°C for an hour

4.Then chill again, in the cold plate for an hour

5.Repeat the short cycle a few times.

In this way to help to attach properly the spots to the surrounding paraffin, which avoids to lose spots during the microtome cutting. I cut the all block in the same day to avoid loosing slides during the realignment. I used 0.6 mm needles in the automated tissue arrayer ATA-27 from Beecher. By using this method I got a really good yield when using human xenografts and cell lines to build my TMA/CMA blocks.

It's worth to try it, it made a big difference in my results.

Hope this helps,

Ana