[Histonet] Testes - Fixation, Staining, Staging

Chris Pomajzl cpomajzl <@t> cpllabs.com
Fri Feb 17 07:51:47 CST 2006

Bouin's is acidic, so I would think that prolonged fixation could adversely
affect DNA/RNA, acrosomal staining.

We would fix in Bouin's for 4-6 hours and then transfer to 70% alcohol.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Safron" <MSafron <@t> wilresearch.com>
To: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2006 7:13 AM
Subject: [Histonet] Testes - Fixation, Staining, Staging

Hello,

I read the following topic on the histonet and had some questions.  Do you
find that prolonged fixation in Bouins > 24 hrs causes a decrease in
acrosomal staining in the testes?

Thanks,

Michael Safron A.S.,HT(ASCP)
Manager, Histology
WIL Research Laboratories LLC
419-289-8700 ext: 3040
Ashland, Ohio 44805

Hello,

Here instructions for HE and PAS after Hotchkiss my Pathologists likes;) We
fix testis in Boiun for 24 hours, then transfer them to 70% ethanol in which
they can be kept as long as you wish. We do not rinse them several times in
70% ethanol. If you wish I can ask him more about satging when he returns
from Christmas vacation.

Hope this helpes you:)

I can send you also pictures of my stainings if you like to see the result.

Bettina Hutz
Research Assistant
Department of Discovery Biology
Orion Corporation, ORION PHARMA
Orionintie 1, P.O.Box 65, FIN-02101 Espoo, Finland
Tel. +358 10 429 2607,  Fax +358 10 429 2924