[Histonet] Aluminium in paraffin embedded sections

Lina Vieira livieira <@t> ualg.pt
Thu Feb 16 09:44:52 CST 2006

We want identify Aluminium in paraffin embedded sections of fish spleen and kidney for light microscopy.
I found diferent techniques and want your advise about it.
I indicate the technique that seems easy to me:
(from Pearse, 1972)
Solution A . 0.2% solochrome azurine (aqueous)
Solution B. 0.2% solochrome azurine in normal sodium hydroxide
Method
1. Take two sections to water
2. Stain one section in each solutions - 20 minutes
3. Wash in water
4. Counterstain in 1% neutral red - 5 minutes
5. Wash in tap water
6. Dehydrate through gradde alcohols to xylene
7 Mount in DPX

Resultes
section stain with solution A - Aluminium and beryllium - blues
section stain with solution B - Beryllium - blue-black

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide,

Lina Vieira
University of Algarve
Portugal