[Histonet] RE: Decalcifying before HBQ

Julien Lambrey de Souza julien_lambreydesouza <@t> uqar.qc.ca
Tue Feb 7 11:50:31 CST 2006

Sorry. I guess I should have elaborated a bit on the stain.

HBQ = Hall and Brunt's Quadruple stain
Used to differenciate bone from cartillage and chondroid bone.

Deparaffinized sections are stained in aqueous celestine blue (0,5% in
5% ammonium sulphate and 14% glycerin), Mayer's hematox, alcian blue
(1% in 1% acetic acid, pH 2,6), Phosphomolybdic acid1% and aqueous
direct red 0,5%.

All the protocols and pictures I have seen in publications are done on
decalcified tissue. My question is the following: If my specimen cuts
out nice sections without decalcification, will I get the intended
staining (same as seen in publications) or will it be different from
decalcified sections?

How does decalcification influence staining results?

Thanks for the imput.

Julien Lambrey de Souza
Research assistant, Evolutionary biology
University of Quebec at Rimouski

Tel: (418) 723-1986 #1714
Fax: (418) 724-1849