[Histonet] collecting fresh tissue prior to perfusion

Monfils, Paul PMonfils <@t> Lifespan.org
Fri Feb 3 12:15:48 CST 2006

Caroline,

I have done what you describe on a few occasions, not because I wanted to do
DNA analysis but because I wanted to do electron microscopy along with
standard histology. Cutting off a quarter of a lobe would probably allow
excessive leakage during subsequent perfusion, not only because of the
surface area involved, but also because you would undoubtedly cut some
fairly large vessels.  I don't know how much tissue volume you need for DNA
studies, but we needed only a tiny biopsy for EM (a couple of cubic
millimeters).  We cut a tiny notch from the edge of one lobe, using a small
scalpel, and the amount of capillary leakage from such a small peripheral
incision was negligible.

Paul Monfils