[Histonet] What are peoples feelings on pre labling slides?

Stephen Peters M.D. petepath <@t> yahoo.com
Fri Feb 3 07:02:01 CST 2006

I am curious to see if it is considered acceptable practice to pre-label multiple
  slides before cutting the blocks and picking the tissues up on these pre-labeled
  slides. We came close to a dangerous misdiagnosis because a tech picked up
   a malignant section from a " part 2 breast biopsy" on a prelabled part 1 slide. Luckily it made no sense that only one of many slides contained tumor that
  looked like it was coming from an advanced tumor. After playing match the blocks
   it was obvious that the malignant part one slide matched a part 2 block. It seems
  to me that this is a potentially dangerous habit despite the convenience of
  assembly line labeling. Early in my career I stopped labeling my frozen section slides
  up front and wait until after I pick up the section. When I am cutting frozens I  make
   variable #s of slides depending on the situation. Working quickly under the
   pressure of multiple cases it is not hard to pick up the wrong slide and make
   this mistake. I am curious to hear peoples thoughts.

Stephen Peters M.D.
Vice Chairman of Pathology
Hackensack University Medical Center
201 996 4836