[Histonet] Re-processing

Kemlo Rogerson kemlo.rogerson <@t> waht.swest.nhs.uk
Fri Feb 3 02:53:06 CST 2006

The hardness caused by processing is presently an intellectual battle
between myself and Gayle (covert to this List).

I'm presently in think mode on this.

Kemlo Rogerson
Pathology Manager
Ext  3311
DD   01934 647057
Mob 07749 754194

-----Original Message-----
From: Celebre Julia [mailto:celebrej <@t> HHSC.CA]
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 5:21 PM
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Re-processing

Calling all processing and reprocessing experts out there....

I'm sure all labs over the years have run into processing troubles ranging
from instrument malfunctions during the night to misplacement of solutions
(usually a water before the xylene), causing pure horror for the
technologist who opens up the retort in the morning.  It's sad to say that
our department is experienced in these situations, and everytime something
happens to the processing it's always difficult to decide how best to
reprocess the sections.

Each time we've reprocessed our sections (usually due to the introduction of
water before the xylene or paraffin stations) on shortened absolute alcohol,
xylenes and paraffin times, they'v ended up being extremely hard and
brittle, which does not make our pathologist happy....

Is there a way of reprocessing tissue without damaging it?
Would adding a softener to the alcohols reduce the hardening affects of
reprocessing?
How much time can be safely shaved off if the tissues have already been
through a regular program?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Julia Celebre MLT
Anatomic Pathology
Hamilton General Hospital
Hamilton, Ontario
Canada
905-527-0271  ext 46179
email: celebrej <@t> hhsc.ca

This information is directed in confidence solely to the person named above
and may not otherwise be distributed, copied or disclosed.  Therefore, this
information should be considered strictly confidential. If you have received
this email in error, please notify the sender immediately via a return email
for further direction. Thank you for your assistance.