[Histonet] Histobath freezing medium

RSRICHMOND <@t> aol.com RSRICHMOND <@t> aol.com
Thu Feb 2 21:31:48 CST 2006

My laboratory uses a Histobath (from Shandon/Lipshaw or whatever they're
called this year), a device that keeps a liquid coolant at a temperature of around
-50 C. to freeze specimens for frozen section.

The liquid coolant we use in acetone, in a space that is not vented or
hooded. It seems to me that this is a significant fire hazard - and we have a CAP
inspection coming up.

Isopentane (2-methylbutane) would probably be an even worse choice. Is there
any non-flammable liquid - perhaps a liquid Freon (halogenated hydrocarbon)
that could be used in this system? The documentation makes no reference to the
coolant at all.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist