[Histonet] paraffin "stuff"???

Pamela Marcum pmarcum <@t> vet.upenn.edu
Thu Feb 2 11:32:25 CST 2006

At 12:22 PM 2/2/2006, Steven Coakley wrote:
>I've noticed what appears to be this off colored "fuzzy"  stuff floating
>in the paraffin thats in my embedding dispencer.  I drained the dispencer
>and replaced it with fresh but there it is again.  Is this anything to be
>concerned about.  "???"  maybe i should check the processors
>paraffins.  Never noticed this "stuff" before.

Hi Steve,

First which paraffin are you using?  Does the stuff go away when you stir
it?  Paraffins today all have additives that can seperate and should be
stirred daily to assure this is not happening or is re mixed.  Some
paraffins have more additive than others and will precipitate more.

Best Regards,

Pamela A Marcum
Manager, Histology Special Procedures
University of Pennsylvania