[Histonet] citation for negative controls

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Thu Feb 2 11:02:18 CST 2006

Appropriate negative controls are discussed by Boenisch, in DAKO 3rd
Edition Handbook Immunochemical Staining methods, and found on the DAKO
website as a free pdf download.  It can be done and clinical laboratories
do use irrelevant antibodies at times also.  Jules Elias books also discuss
this, Immunohistopathology, a pracatical approach to diagnostics, ASCP
press. There is a second edition although may not be available to you.

If you are working with mouse, this can be a difficult thing to find at
times so that you get NO staining with an irrelevant
antibody.  Consequently we use what is most cited in the literature,
isotype matched immunoglobulin i.e. IgG controls depending on species and
immunoglobulin.  They come pure, biotinylated, conjugated to many things
including Alexa dyes.  OR you can buy whole IgG's from Jackson (whole rat
IgG contains all the isotypes, and from many different species.)

One that happened some time ago, we used rat serum as a  control and the
reviewers balked big time.  We had to REPEAT what was a very difficult,
tedious immunogold staining project using isotype matched controls.   Since
that time, we NEVER use normal serums nor an irrelevant antibody for a
negative control.   Having to repeat work is not fun!