[Histonet] processing

Kemlo Rogerson kemlo.rogerson <@t> waht.swest.nhs.uk
Wed Feb 1 03:38:43 CST 2006

Think rodent tissue can process on the 'hard' side. Wonder what makes it
'hard'? Is it that the bonds between the proteins are 'stronger' or the
proteins are 'nearer' together? I mean if we could figure out what made
tissue 'hard' molecularly then we'd know which the culprit in the processing
was.

Sorry to ramble.

Kemlo Rogerson
Pathology Manager
Ext  3311
DD   01934 647057
Mob 07749 754194

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Coakley [mailto:sjchtascp <@t> yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 6:56 PM
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] processing

Good afternoon,

  I'm working with mouse/rat muscle and trying to fine tune my processing
schecdule.
  My last run of muscle were very dry.  I have a copy of the NSH Animal
Processing Manual and trying to strike a balance between those listed on
page 5-6.  I've noticed most of the protocols do not call for heat or P/V.
The scedule I currently use is as follows: 1-70% (hold), 1-80%, 2-95%,
3-100%, 3-xylene all for 30 minutes each and at 38C with P/V.  3 paraffins,
45 minutes each at 55C with P/V.  I'm fairly new to research and still
trying to make the "mental" switch in handling the different tissue.

  Thanks everyone,

  Steve