[Histonet] Wage and Productivity

Cheri Miller cmiller <@t> physlab.com
Fri Dec 29 09:28:55 CST 2006

Very well said Cheryl, I agree wholeheartedly

Cheri MIller HT ASCP Histology Supervisor, Phys Laboratory. Omaha Ne

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Cheryl
Sent: Friday, December 29, 2006 9:18 AM
To: TMcNemar <@t> lmhealth.org
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Wage and Productivity

Hi Tom-

  We staff traveling histologist (up to 50 on the road at a time) and I
travel as a temp.  What the others say about taking samples and averaging
the times of your techs is germaine.  I travel to different labs (over 40
labs in 25 years and counting) and I can cut anywhere between 25 and 75
blocks per hour depending on processing, tissue, protocols, instrumentation
and automation.

  The goal on collecting these averages be an acceptable range of time to
accommodate all tissue types/cutting protocols and tech skills.  The idea
behind averaging is to get a benchmark (metric) on how to manage workloads,
not to push techs to cut more and faster.  That's when you start to get
mistakes and repetitive motion injuries....not to mention unhappy campers
who will start to look for new employment.

  If you have a chance to go to other labs, often you can learn little
tricks to pick up efficiency without compromising the quality or pushing
past your tech's abilities. Each lab is different--not everything works in
every lab.  It can be fun to try each different idea to see what does work
for your lab.

  Hope this helps!

  Cheryl

Cheryl Kerry, HT(ASCP)
Full Staff Inc.
Staffing the AP Lab by helping one Tech at a time.
281.883.7704 c
281.852.9457 o
admin <@t> fullstaff.org

Sign up for the FREE monthly newsletter AP News--updates, tricks of the
trade and current issues for Anatomic Pathology Clinical Labs. Send a
'subscribe' request to APNews <@t> fullstaff.org. Please include your name and
specialty in the body of the email.