[Histonet] Softening chitin - Maria Mejia?

Monfils, Paul PMonfils <@t> Lifespan.org
Tue Dec 12 11:41:40 CST 2006

I'm getting ready for a project on Drosophila brain, and need to section the whole head.  Sectioning insects is always difficult because of the chitinous exoskeleton.  In the Histonet archives I found a detailed method for addressing this problem, using a mixture of phenol and chloral hydrate, posted by Maria Mejia in 1/06.  I intend to use this technique, but would however like to ask a few questions about the technique, of someone who has used it successfully.  I have tried emailing Maria, and another person who said he had used the method successfully.  But the emails to Maria have bounced back, and I have not yet heard from the other person.  If anyone has had success with this method, and would be willing to answer a few brief questions, please email me.  Also, if anyone has an up to date email address for Maria Mejia, or if Maria reads this, please email me.  Thanks.