[Histonet] Deparaffinization Times

AGrobe2555 <@t> aol.com AGrobe2555 <@t> aol.com
Thu Aug 31 11:36:07 CDT 2006

You could also check after immersion in the first alcohol.  The  tissues that
are clear of paraffin become more opaque while you will see  spots/patches
that look different if all the wax isn't out.  This can be  another indicator of
sufficient time in Xylene.  When I worked with  paraffin sections years ago,
we would do at least 3-5 minutes in 3 separate  xylene baths.  1 minute in 2
xylenes sounds a bit short....but may  ultimately depend on the type and
thickness of tissue.

Albert C.  Grobe, PhD
International Heart Institute, Tissue Engineering Lab
Saint  Patrick Hospital