[Histonet] reticulin stain confusion

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Aug 30 11:24:27 CDT 2006

Missy:
  Gomori is one of many ammoniacal silver methods. The one you are referring to was developed by Gomori in 1937 and it has been my preferred method for reticulin for many years.
  You also mentione that you want to visualize and QUANTIFY reticulin deposits in BM.
  For starters you will have to use at least 7µm thick sections to get an idea of the reticulin mesh interelations, otherwise you will only see fragments without interrelations. This is with regards to visualizing another thing is quantifiying. How do you intend to do that?
  Quantification is extremely difficult for a reticulin mesh. The only thing I could do is to give an approximate evaluation of number of trabecules/objective field and even this is really quite problematic. You could try to measure thickness of the trabecules or the distance between them.
  I am really at a loss as to how you could quantify a reticulin mesh. Recently there have attempts of quatififying glycogen contents and it has been used the same type of Olympus photometer used for photomicrography to get an idea of optical density, and even this approach has been hampered by inconsistencies in section thickness and quality of the PAS reagent and staining protocol.
  I have a paper on "Quantifying Quality" that I could send you if you want me to.
  Hope this will help you
  René J.
Missy <bayoubelle311 <@t> gmail.com> wrote:
  Hi all,

I am slightly confused with a stain I am anticipating on using. It was
suggested that I use Gomori's silver stain to visualize and quantify
reticulin deposits in bone marrow. I have done a few searches and am
confused as to wether Gomori silver is a stain or a method. If it is a
method, has anyone here used it and does it work well?

Missy