[Histonet] On-line Histology Schools

Sarah Jones hawkmoon15 <@t> cox.net
Thu Aug 24 20:28:28 CDT 2006

I responded to the original requester of this information privately
yesterday.  I believe she is being misled by statements such as "There is
another histo school online... it's Harford community college in MD. It's a
good program."

I am sure this is a good program.  However, one cannot complete this program
and take their boards unless they comply with what Peggy Wenk said below:

"I feel like I have wandered into the middle of a conversation with this.
Don't know what preceded this comment, but will try to answer from this
point on.

The THEORY of Histotechnology could be taught on line. What educators call
the "didactics."

Floyd Grimm III, in a NAACLS accredited program at Harford Community College
in Bel Air, Maryland has most of his histotechnology lectures on line. The
students download the homework, and email the answers back in.  They follow
links to other sites, and read up on procedures from other institutions.
They follow links that Floyd has set up, to look at photos of equipment, and
the end results of stains. I think they could also take some practice exams
via the internet.

HOWEVER, his students still need to come in to the college to do the lab
portion of the college courses. And they still need to do their clinical
rotations in the area hospital and private labs.  So they are still getting
hands-on in the college labs and the hospital labs. But they are getting the
theory on-line."

PLEASE folks, before informing anyone about what you THINK you know, refer
them to www.ASCP.org and let them check out all the actual requirements for
licensure.  So much has changed in the past few years, I doubt all the HT &
HTL licensees are even aware of all the changes.

Best regards,

Sarah A. Jones, HTL(ASCP)
Dako North America, Inc.
Research Associate