[Histonet] Re: Setting Ink

RSRICHMOND <@t> aol.com RSRICHMOND <@t> aol.com
Wed Aug 9 12:29:55 CDT 2006

Karen Heckford HT (ASCP) CE, Lead Histology Technician, Histology/Pathology
Department, St. Mary's Medical Center, San Francisco CA asks:

>>Does anyone know if there is something that sets the ink on tissue after
you have inked the margins?<<

I rarely use anything to set the ink when I gross surgical specimens. the
important thing is to blot the specimen dry before you put the ink on.

Bouin's solution, and acetone, are widely used but are environmentally
unacceptable. 2% to 3% acetic acid is supposed to work quite satisfactorily, but I
don't think I've ever tried it.

Bob Richmond
Knoxville TN and Gastonia NC