[Histonet] ASCP salary survey is deficient

Morken, Tim - Labvision tpmorken <@t> labvision.com
Thu Aug 3 12:09:34 CDT 2006

Glen, Yes I think you are right. Managers have almost no incentive to
respond to the survey at all, much less with real figures. They most likely
give a mid-range figure for a given position since the mid-range is usually
what they will offer prospective employees with extensive experience.

Tim Morken

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Dawson, Glen
Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2006 9:39 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] ASCP salary survey is deficient

All,

The ASCP survey has become a tool for management to justify low histotech
pay scales.  I have learned this from personal experience.  Even when the
survey covers your region, the numbers do NOT jive with the reality of what
it takes to actually hire a histotech.

Since this has been the case for as long as I've been checking this survey,
I would strongly suggest that each laboratory base offers hinged on what
other labs in the area are offering and don't bring the ASCP survey into
play at all.

My Opinion Only,

Glen Dawson  BS, HT & QIHC (ASCP)
IHC Manager