[Histonet] Workload

Zajic Kari Kari.Zajic <@t> HCAhealthcare.com
Thu Aug 3 09:50:51 CDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu]On Behalf Of Rene J
Buesa
Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2006 10:24 AM
To: Heckford, Karen - SMMC-SF; Histonet (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Workload

Karen:
  80-100 cassettes/day is way below average. Under separate cover I am sending you an article I just published in Advance for MLP (3 July/06) that will give you some idea of averages for all histology tasks (both licensed and unlicensed).
  René J.

"Heckford, Karen - SMMC-SF" <Karen.Heckford <@t> CHW.edu> wrote:
  Hello Everyone, I was wondering if someone could give me some feedback on
some questions. Do you think 80-100 cassettes a day is too much for one
tech in a 8 hour period? We are looking at only a few special stains and
probably not a lot of recuts. No IHC's. I am trying to figure out schedules
and perhaps hiring a part timer. H&E will be continuous feed autostainer
and special stains will be done by hand. If you did have 2 techs. could
they reasonably get 80-100 cassettes done from embedding to
coverslipped(done by hand) in 4 hours. I am right now a one person show
thinking about expanding.
Cheers,
Karen Heckford HT (ASCP) CE
Lead Histology Technician