[Histonet] Expired antibodies...for immunos..

Weems, Joyce JWEEMS <@t> sjha.org
Fri Apr 28 09:45:19 CDT 2006

(d) = "Reagents, solutions, culture media, control materials, calibration materials, and other supplies must not be used when they have exceeded their expiration date, have deteriorated, or are of substandard quality."

I'm wondering if this phrase could be interpreted to be ONE of the three reasons listed because the conjunction is OR. This could be proven and documented by reasons given earlier.

Joyce

Joyce Weems
Pathology Manager
Saint Joseph's Hospital of Atlanta
404-851-7376
404-851-7831 - fax

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu]On Behalf Of Jan Shivers
Sent: Friday, April 28, 2006 10:40 AM
To: histonet
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Expired antibodies...for immunos..

And let us not forget that it's the antibody manufacturers who set these
expiration dates.  Is there an actual science behind determining an
antibody's 'lifespan', or is it more of a business profit decision?  It's
certainly cost-inefficient for a lab to pay upwards of $500 for an antibody
which you only use a few times before its expiration date hits, yet the
doctors/clients want these tests available.

If we can't change the wording on the rules and regulations in regards to
using antibodies past their expiration date, despite proof of their
continued reactivity... then we should encourage the manufacturers to set
more reasonable expiration dates.... or sell in smaller quantities, as Peggy
stated below.

Jan Shivers