[Histonet] need to section -80C frozen tissue on sliding microtome

Alan Bright abright <@t> brightinstruments.com
Thu Apr 27 09:32:21 CDT 2006

Dear Maria,

Although I have a broad knowledge of cryostats & microtomes and some
useful sectioning techniques plus the fact I have not seen any answers
yet to your problem. Here are my two penny's worth followed after your
text with _ _ _ _

Now, my question is - if I need to use the sliding microtome to
section these -80C frozen tissues-
how do I proceed with them so I can section them?????????? They are
already frozen, but I
still need to attach them to the sliding tissue stage - how? _ _ _ _As
the specimen is frozen and the stage should be too, you will be unable
to use embedding medium to adhere the specimen to the tissue stage of
the microtome. Therefore you will have to use water from a syringe or
pipette and be very quick in placing the specimen in place prior to the
water freezing.

And,  they maybe too cold to section??_ _ _ _ Yes they will be too cold,
so you need to measure the temperature of the specimen with a
thermometer or electronic probe until it rises to the desired
temperature,  this is the only way you will know accurately, as it will
always be a different timing unless the specimens are all the same size,
the tissue stage is always at the same temperature and the ambient too.

Best Regards

Alan Bright

Bright Instrument Co.Ltd.
St Margaret's Way